a great tasting quinoa recipe with lentils
This quinoa recipe is made with brown lentils, which have a high protein and
fiber content. They also contain iron, folate and magnesium. Lentils
are a good source of B1 and calcium, and have almost no fat. Coupled
nutritional value of quinoa
, this recipe is a nutritional powerhouse for every woman over 50.
Quinoa & Lentil Pilaf
- 1 Cup brown lentils, soaked for 6-8 hours and sprouted*
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Cups quinoa, uncooked
- 31/2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp salt depending on whether you use broth or water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Saute onion in oil until golden, this will take a few minutes
- Add cumin, stir and sautee for 1 minute
- Stir in quinoa and cook for another minute
- Add lentils, broth/water, salt and pepper
- Stir, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover
- Simmer 20-25 min or until all liquid is soaked up
- Turn off heat and leave covered for 15 minutes
- Gently separate with a fork and let sit uncovered a bit before serving.
* Sprouting improves the nutritional value of grains, seeds, legumes and grains and makes them easier to digest. The taste will be the same so if you don't want the bother with sprouting, this recipe will be just as delicious. It's up to you.
** If your quinoa looks mushy when you first open it, don't panic. It's important to gently separate the grains. As it cools the texture will become firm.
This recipe can be made using a pressure cooker:
- Follow directions 1-4 as above
- Lock the lid in place and bring pressure to 15psi
- Lower heat so that pressure is just maintained and cook for 7 minutes
- Remove from heat and let pressure drop naturally
- Open, gently separate with a fork and leave uncovered.
This recipe should be included in every baby boomer's list of healthy
foods to eat. Rich in fiber, it benefits the heart by lowering
cholesterol, and aids the
. It's high protein content is anti-aging and its
is important for
Serve it as a side dish or scoop up a bowl-full for a great tasting protein rich main course.
For another delicious quinoa recipe try
Fresh Herb Quinoa Salad
What is Quinoa?
Return from Quinoa Recipe to Home Page